Monday, July 12, 2010

Life

Well, it's been about a week since I've written anything, so I thought this would be a good time to update.

I've been working a lot. At work, there are many people who speak Arabic and not much English. Some of my favorite people are Basim, his wife Rasha, and their two children Samar and Mohammed. Also, there is Samir, Fatima, and Omar. And of course the 12 year old kid named Mamadee who helps me pack everything up (the only one of them who speaks good English). Also, I often sit and talk to Eddy, the Bosnian maintenance worker at the apartments.

I've been learning Arabic from Basim, and I've started teaching English to Samir. They are both what they call "bad Muslims." In other words, they drink and don't go to the Mosque. I'm hoping we can all learn from each other and consider each other friends, despite the language barrier.

A couple days ago, I picked up a guy named Kenny who was homeless and wanted a ride downtown. I don't usually do what many consider witnessing, but I asked him if I could pray for him about anything. He never really answered, but we started talking about God, and He asked why God didn't make himself obvious. I told him I thought it was because he wanted to truly love us and for us to truly love him. I told him that I would pray that in the next week, he would have an encounter with God in some way. I hope he does and is transformed!

About 6 weeks until I leave for Jerusalem. It's hard to believe! In this summer so far, I am praying for God to develop in me humility, service, and gratitude. Service is easy to plan for, which means it should be the most evident. Gratitude and humility should be reactions, but are often not eminent.

That's about it. Stay classy, San Diego.

1 comment:

Amanda Bieniek said...

I love that this posts mentions:
1. Procrastination
2. Language study
3. speaking "good English" :)
4. Witnessing/evangelism/prayer/Jesus and 5. Anchorman. These are all some of my favorite things!