Monday, September 5, 2011

First day of Teaching!

Today was the first day of school. It was an eventful day, to say the least. I got to school at 7AM.

My schedule is as follows: I teach 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th periods this week. 3rd period is lunch, when I have "lunch duty." Lunch duty basically means that I walk around, talk to kids, and make sure they're staying out of trouble.

Let's rewind to 7:45 AM (School starts at 8). I am asked by the high school principal to substitute teach for the first period... for 5th graders. The teacher wasn't able to make it to school that day, so they were desperate. They told me simply to watch the kids. Well, you can't just watch kids for a whole hour. The Elementary Principal told me to teach math. Well, that would be great if the kids had math books. I asked for a teachers math book so I could teach it. It never came. Eventually I figured it out and we started doing some math problems, but it's safe to say that it was a fiasco of an hour.

Since I had to leave the 5th grade classroom to find someone to take the class so I could teach my American History class, I was late for my first official class as a teacher. How exciting! And from there I taught every class period during the day. 

But, I gotta say, the the 7th and 8th grade kids made up for the crazy beginning to the day. I am really going to enjoy teaching them. And I hope that crazy things like what happened today won't be typical, because it was exhausting.

And to end this blog on another high note, I really like my friends here. There are some great and unique and interesting people. Thanks for all the prayers you're sending my way. Know that I'm sending them your way as well, and I miss all of you!

3 comments:

Ashly said...

Im happy that everything is going good over there teaching seems like fun! Lots of exciting things to come! Miss you post some pictures of your class room if you can I would love to see what it looks like : ]

Kate said...

I guess I didn't realize that you'd be teaching jr high age kids! That is so awesome. I strongly believe it takes a very unique person to be able to teach that age range. It is definitely not something everyone can do! But you are the perfect kind of person for the job. Hope the rest of your week goes well!

Sarah said...

I am going to enjoy reading your updates! Praying for you, Mike!