Friday, June 29, 2007

I think I'm weird.

Really, some of you may not believe it, but I think I am just a little bit strange. Just a little bit different. I think differently than other people, I believe.

I don't know, other people seem so excited about what God is going to do through them. They'll say things like, "I know God is going to do amazing things through me." Even if they have no idea what that is, they get excited about it. Honestly, I sometimes question whether people are actually excited for the sake of God's glory or if they're excited because they just want to feel like they're worth something.

I guess both of those things are good. I just can't bring myself to get excited about something God is going to do through me. I feel like if I ever tried to do anything, even if God is "doing it through me," I'll somehow get in the way and screw it all up.

Please don't take this as low self-esteem. It really isn't. I'm just aware that God is perfect and I can never do anything with that amount of perfection.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to get excited about "God doing amazing things" through you. But here's the idea I feel is associated with that: "People will look at my life and see that God used me to do great things." That seems so me-centered. Nothing is supposed to be about you, it's supposed to be about the great things God has done.

Here is what I get excited about: "People will see what God has done and who cares if they notice the person who orchestrated it? God has been glorified."

I just think if we take ourselves out of the equation, we won't be able to get the glory. And that is a very good thing.

Well, so that's all for my rambling. Peace!

2 comments:

Roger said...

This seems a good place to say that I like "weird" and enjoy seeing who you have become, so far. One of the things I find I explain fairly often is "Don't base what you're supposed to feel on what other people say they feel." I don't feel a lot of the things I hear, and the authority for what we are supposed to do (not feel) is the Word. I suspect some of the greatest Christians are those who weren't sure about anything but kept doing the best they could.

I'm not sure about that whole "me versus God" doing it either. Ego can be a problem, no doubt, but even the biggest ego can't rob God of his glory. Rather it will rob the individual of the reward that comes from humble service. If we do it for the praise of men (even our own self-congratulations), we have our reward already. I would prefer a "Well, done, you good and faithful servant."

I am always gratified to know that God wants us to succeed, in every way that matters, even more than we do. The biggest mistake is most likely failing to do for fear we'll do it wrong.

Nick said...

I don't think we pay enough attention to the Beatitudes, which encapsulate Christ's message like no other passage in the scriptures.

To wit: "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Good observations in this post.